north bay trumpet
Repertory List (college
- Required Reading: Also Sprach Arnold
Jacobs; How to Practice Jazz (Coker)
- V. Cichowicz Flow Studies
- C. Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities
- A. Vizzutti Method for Trumpet (Vol.1)
- J. Korak Lyrical Studies
- O. Boehme 24 Etudes
- R. Cafarelli 100 Studi Melodici (transposition)
- Rachmaninov "Vocalise"
- Ewazen "Three Lyrics for Marimba and Trumpet"
- Barat "Andante et Scherzo"
- Copland "Quiet City"
- Haydn Concerto in Eb
- (introduction of C trumpet)
- Excerpts: Promenade, Lenore 3, Pines of Rome,
- J. Aebersold "Cycles and Turnarounds"
- J. Aebersold Vol. 65 "Four and More"
- J. Aebersold "Horace Silver"
- Blue Mitchell Jazz Solo Transcriptions
- Dorian and Mixolydian scales
- dom 7 and min 7 chords
- II-V-I in major
- 3 note patterns, scales in 3rds, diatonic
- 2nd part writing projects
- Required Reading:The Teaching of Vincent
Cichowicz; The Jazz Idiom (Coker)
- M. Ponzo Flow Studies
- J. Stamp Warm-Ups and Studies
- W. Smith Lip Flexibility on the Trumpet
- R. Nagle Speed Studies
- M. Borgdoni Vocalises (Vol. 1)
- J. B. Arban Characteristic Studies
- Sachse 100 Transposition Studies
- Ewazen "Hymn for the Lost and Living"
- Copland "Vocalise"
- Barat "Fantisie in Mi"
- Hindemith "Eight Studies"
- Hummel Concerto in Eb
- (introduction of Eb trumpet)-Vacchiano
Preludes (vol. 1)
- Excerpts: Schumann #2, Fetes, Ravel Piano
Concerto, Shostakovich Piano Concerto
- J. Aebersold "Tune-Up" (tunes in 12 keys)
- J. Aebersold "Lee Morgan"
- J. Aebersold "Body and Soul"
- L. Morgan and Kenny Dorham Jazz Solo
- Lydian Dominant and Whole Tone scales
- dom 7 (b5) or (#5) chords
- II-V-I in minor
- 4 note patterns, scales in 4ths, diatonic 7th
- melody writing projects
- Required Reading: The Art of Trumpet
Playing (Johnson); Jazz Improvisation (Coker)
- A. Plog Warm-ups (vol. 1)
- A. Plog Flexibilities (vol. 4)
- C. Gekker Endurance Drills and Performance
- C. Gekker Articulation Studies
- M. Borgdoni Vocalises (Vol. 3)
- H. L. Clarke Characteristic Studies
- V. Brandt Orchestral Etudes
- J. Korak Moving Transposition
- Prokofiev Songs Without Words
- Brandt Concert Piece
- Ketting "Intrada"
- Artunian Concerto
- Ewazen Sonata
- (introduction of D trumpet)-Vacchiano Preludes
- Excerpts: Lt. Kije, Capriccio Italien,
Shostakovich #1, #5
- J. Aebersold "Woody Shaw"
- J. Aebersold "Charlie Parker"
- J. Aebersold "Jam Session"
- C. Brown and Donald Byrd Jazz Solo
- Locrian Scales
- min 7 (b5) chords
- V of V
- 5 note patterns, scales in 5ths, diatonic
triads with approach notes
- solo transcription projects
- Required Reading: Inside John Haynie's
Trumpet Studio; Clear Solutions (Coker)
- M. Sachs Daily Fundamentals for Trumpet
- A. Plog Finger Exercises and Etudes (Vol. 2)
- A. Plog Finger Exercises and Etudes (Vol. 3)
- P. Snedecor Lyrical Studies
- P. Snedecor Etudes in the Operatic Style
- T. Charlier 24 Etudes Transcendantes
- J. Falk Atonus
- W. Vacchiano Moving Transposition
- Plog "Postcards"
- A. Honegger "Entrada"
- Enesco "Legende"
- Hindemith Sonata
- Kennan Sonata
- (introduction of piccolo trumpet)-Gekker 15
exercises; Cantata 51, Trumpet Shall Sound, Magnificat
- Excerpts: Mahler #1 #3. #5, Bartok Concerto
- J. Aebersold "Giant Steps" (tunes in 12 keys)
- J. Aebersold "Wayne Shorter"
- J. Aebersold "Night and Day"
- F. Hubbard and Woody Shaw Jazz Solo
- Altered and Dominant Diminished Scales
- dom 7 (b9) or (#9) chords
- V of II
- 6 note patterns, scales in 6ths, diatonic 7th
chords with approach notes
- group arrangement projects
- Required Reading: Legacy of a Master-A.
Jacobs; A Creative Approach to Practicing Jazz (Baker)
- Required Reading:Teaching Brass; Teaching
- P .Thibaud Method for the Advanced Trumpeter
- P. Thibaud Chromatic Exercises and Technical
Studies for the Advanced Trumpeter
- J. Porret 24 Etudes Melodiques et Progressives
- W. Smith Top Tones
- V. Reynolds Etudes
- M. Bitsch Vignt Etudes
- H. Stevens Sonata
- J. Aebersold "Countdown to Giant Steps"
- J. Aebersold "Invitation"
- J. Aebersold "John Coltrane"
- Tom Harrell and Ryan Kisor Jazz Solo
- synthetic scales
- Upper Structure Triads and hybrid chords
- 7 note patterns, scales in 7ths, diatonic 9th
chords with approach notes
- large ensemble arrangement projects